Y’all, I did it! Week 1 of my 52 week photo challenge is in the books, and that means you’re about to see some self portraits. I’m not gonna lie, taking a proper self portrait is HARD. With no other set of eyes, nailing down focus was time consuming, and without studio lighting, the ins-and-outs of the sun were frustrating. Did I take over 300 pictures? Yes. Did I consider this my workout of the day? Perhaps. Do I have 5 tips for an ultimate selfie-taking experience? You betcha!
1. Know your angles. Girls (and maybe guys, too), this is a no-brainer. You’ve posed in the bathroom mirror before, and you know how you want your face to look in photographs. If you know you look better from your left side, take your photo from the left. When in doubt, shoot from above, or at least slightly higher than eye level.
2. Get lit. It’s no secret that great lighting makes great photographs. Natural light, in my opinion, is always the most flattering. Find a window, or head outside…get some sunshine on your shoulder; it’ll make you happy. (Miss the John Denver reference? Move along, I’m old.)
3. Watch your back(ground). I know I’m not the only one who has seen the memes of the pretty girls taking selfies with unflushed toilets in the background. Bathroom selfies, in general, are a bad idea…unless there’s ring-lighting in there. Then go for it, girlfriend!
4. Bea-U-tiful. Have fun, and be yourself. You can’t get nervous when you’re the photographer, amiright? I don’t want to see any fake smiles!
5. Love your selfie. You did it, now go share that sucker and get some likes. Print it out, and hang it on your wall. You’re a selfie rockstar.